Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Tender Heart

This has been a long week for us. Ben got sick Monday night and on Tuesday morning he was diagnosed with the flu. Poor guy couldnt keep anything down and still has not eaten more than a few crackers and a bite of roll. Today he was able to keep all of his fluids down and took a long nap so I believe he has beaten the worst of it.

Even through all of his sickness he kept his humor and his compassion for others. Yesterday I was in the restroom with him while he was sick and after the dry heaves he looked at me and said, "Momma I have one angry tummy. I think I'll stay away from sweets for a little while. I bet he's mad because I dont eat veggies like I should."

When he got weighed at the doctor he noticed he was 43lbs instead of the 44.4 he was last week. He said, "Momma as soon as I feel better I have to eat lots of food. Im getting smaller instead of bigger. I have to eat so I can be strong again."

As I was laying with him yesterday I told him that I'd rather have the flu than him because I didn't like seeing him sick. He looked at me and said, "No mamma I'd rather be sick because you have my brother in your belly and I dont like it when your sick. I'd rather it be me. "

Today he was taking a nap and I found out from my dr that I failed my glucose test by 5 points so I was going to have to take the three hour test next Monday. I was also told I'm anemic so I woud need to take iron. A few minutes after talking to my Dr I started feeling horrible. I had been tired all day but I figured it was because of staying up with Ben. After getting sick twice I went to the couch and had a good ol fashion cry. I havent had one in months and since I felt horrible I let myself cry. He woke up from his nap and found me on the couch. He sat next to me and patted me on the back. He said, "Mamma its ok, I heard you throw up. Im sorry your sick. Just take nice slow breaths. I promise you'll feel better soon." I gave him a big hug and dried up my tears. He told me if I needed to cry its ok and he would cuddle with me.

I dont know what I did to deserve such a smart, compassionate, wonderful son but I will always be grateful for him and my wonderful husband.

1 comment: